easy introduction to perl

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:10:43 BST 2007

On 5 Oct 2007, at 09:50, Stray Taoist wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 08:13:43AM +0100, Ash Berlin wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone really do that anymore? How very 1997...
>
> Yup, we still do. And we don't use database abstraction layers (much),
> either.
>
> You know, sometimes you just want a quick page, that does something
> simple.
> No need for scaffolding and structure and fluff. Just get some
> data. Print it
> on a page. That is all.

In that case, the least necessary of DBI, how to get stuff into and
array
of hashes, then the classes that make outputting tables of HTML gumph
really
easy.

Oh, and if you're in sysadmin wonk territory, Template::Toolkit. Use
it for
generating config files for other programs, yes, HTML output, all
kinds of
useful stuff. It'll change the way they think.

--
Dave Hodgkinson
Back in the Market Risk swamp