easy introduction to perl

Lyle - CosmicPerl.com perl at cosmicperl.com
Sat Oct 6 14:40:17 BST 2007

Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> This is exactly what I was going to say.  Good hosting is *cheap*.
> Programmer time is very expensive.  Pulling an example out of my ass,
> Amazon (EC2) will give you a dual-core system with 512M of RAM and
> basically unlimited disk for somthing like $75/month (plus storage +
> bandwidth costs, which are probably minimal).  $75 is about an hour of
> programmer time.  If having a nice setup on EC2 saves you one hour of
> your time, then it turns out to be free.  And you get hosting too.
>
> So the point is, screwing around with braindead $2/month hosts is
> silly.  If your time is worth anything at all, then you're wasting your
> money with those hosts.
>
> And of course, you're wasting even more time by not using CPAN.  There
> is some good stuff in the core, but there is a lot more good stuff on
> the CPAN.  Learn to love it :)
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan Rockway

Don't get me wrong, I myself have a dual core AMD opteron that I built
myself co-located in a datacenter in Bristol (Clifton to be precise).
It's running XEN so I've got several virtual machines on there for
different purposes or testing.
  When I'm making scripts for myself or for solutions that I'll offer
hosted from my server(s) (got one in California as well) I use, and
enjoy using CPAN. Makes my life a lot easier.
  Most of what I do is off the shelf apps that can sometimes end up on
really crappy hosting. So I've got to try my best to make sure my stuff
works on as many hosting servers as possible, otherwise it'll mean
missing out on A x £££ sales in the future.

Lyle