easy introduction to perl

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sat Oct 6 20:15:15 BST 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:38:31PM +0100, Lyle - CosmicPerl.com wrote:
> Andy Armstrong wrote:
> >Everything you say is true but $2/month hosting (where LAMP means
> >MySQL, PHP and maybe Perl core if you're lucky) is the norm. Lyle's
> >programs are presumably sold as add-ons to people who have already set
> >up a site. Telling they have to move everything and start
> >administering a mod_perl / Catalyst|Jifty|whatever server just to run
> >his banner ad code is, er, really stupid.
>
> Bingo, you've got it ;)

CGI::Application is one file, and as such can be installed with nothing more
than an FTP client.

In fact, the same goes for Catalyst - if you're careful you can get it
installed without needing to compile -anything- (and there's ways and means
of installing your own copies of XS modules onto servers anyway, just needs
a little bit of smarts applied).

It's just a matter of knowing what you're doing. If you don't and aren't going
to try and learn, that's fine by me - I'll have those customers. You should
be fine anyway, the pound was worth more back in 1990.