easy introduction to perl

nik nik at ngo.org.uk
Sun Oct 7 05:36:28 BST 2007

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 6 Oct 2007, at 20:15, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Umm, Catalyst is the archetype of hard-to-install CPAN modules.

Coincidentally, I'm going through this at the moment.  I'm trying to
install Catalyst and its dependencies in to a private directory
structure, so that I can determine whether or not I want changes to
modules installed under the normal Perl library tree to affect it or not.

At the moment the process has consisted of configuring CPAN with a
non-default module install path (in CPAN.pm

     'mbuildpl_arg' => q[--install_base /home/nik/blog-lib],

) and then

   mkdir $HOME/blog-lib
   setenv PERL5LIB \
     $HOME/blog-lib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8:$PERL5LIB
   setenv PERL5LIB \
     $HOME/blog-lib/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach:$PERL5LIB
   env TEST_VERBOSE=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'shell'
   install Task::Catalyst

It's going reasonably well so far (although I really should have told
CPAN.pm to automatically follow dependencies).

I am slightly bemused as to why PERL5LIB needs the .../5.8.8 *and*
.../5.8.8/mach directories.  I thought the one would have inferred the
other.

That, and Catalyst::Controller::FormBuilder appears to assume it's
installing in to /usr/local/lib.