local::lib (was Re: easy introduction to perl)

Ash Berlin ash_cpan at firemirror.com
Fri Oct 12 10:04:45 BST 2007

nik wrote:
> Ash Berlin wrote:
>> Try using local::lib - it should make the job easier.
>
> This is really directed straight at Matt, but I figure the answer being
> in a searchable archive is a good idea.
>
> Is local::lib supposed to be able to bootstrap itself in to ~/perl5?
> The examples have a prompt of '%', which suggests they're supposed to be
> run as a regular user, rather than root.  But the "perl Makefile.PL
> --bootstrap" fails when it can't install some dependencies (Test::...
> IIRC) in to the normal system library directories.

Did you follow the instructions correctly?

To bootstrap if you don't have local::lib itself installed -

  $ perl -MCPAN -eshell # you only need to do this if you don't have a
~/.cpan
  cpan> exit
  <download local::lib tarball from CPAN, unpack and cd into dir>
  $ perl Makefile.PL --bootstrap
  $ make test && make install
  $ echo 'eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib)' >>~/.bashrc
  # Or for C shells...
  $ /bin/csh
  % echo $SHELL
  /bin/csh
  % perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib >> ~/.cshrc