[londonperl] Shell help needed

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Oct 13 08:58:26 BST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 06:32:00AM -0700, David Alban wrote:
> On 10/11/07, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > $ ssh -t some.random.host "screen -S foo /usr/local/bin/bash -c 'echo
> >     $PATH;/usr/local/bin/bash'"
> > $PATH here doesn't contain any of the customisations in my .profile or
> > .bashrc.  And no combination of -i or -l when I invoke bash seems to do
> > the job.  Help?
> In your command above, the current shell is interpolating $PATH and
> sending the remote shell the literal current path and not the literal
> string '$PATH'.

Doh!

With that fixed, then 'screen -S foo /usr/local/bin/bash -lc ...'
appears to Do The Right Thing after all.  Thanks.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice
    -- Richard Bos's corollary