Need to learn C, best books?

Andy Armstrong n at rciss.us
Wed Oct 24 15:21:20 BST 2007

On 24 Oct 2007, at 15:00, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Andy Armstrong wrote:
>> Once you have your head properly around that kind of thing
>> interfacing with Perl is pretty simple. Investigate Inline::C -
>> it's easier than plain old XS.
>
> You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but mine is the exact
> opposite. Inline::C is a pain, it is unmaintained and extremely
> limited in what you can actually do, plus it relies on there being
> a working development environment on each computer where the module
> is used. Also h2xs is designed to help one generate XS based CPAN
> style modules and this doesn't fit at all well with Inline::C's
> assumptions.

Yeah - I'd probably agree and should have certainly explained what I
was getting at in more detail. What I meant was that if Lyle wants to
start to play with integrating bits of C he'd find it easier to get
started using Inline::C. I didn't mean to imply that he should use it
for major stuff.

Thanks for clarifying my wooly writing :)

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten