NLP followup

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 17:41:02 GMT 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 08:35:15AM -0800, Paul Makepeace wrote:
[...]
> I think text/plain and 80-col wrapping is increasingly an anachronism.

Perhaps, but it's the lowest common denominator when there's no MIME magic
to say it's something else.

> text/html has taken over (seriously, get over it), and even where it
> hasn't (like here), a mail reader should be able to display unwrapped
> text/plain without leaving it unreadable. If that's not the case, my harsh
> response would be "go fix it'.

My mail reader *did* break the lines. It was however unaware that it was
supposed to be splt into paragraphs on the single CRLF that was present
between the lines. I could *see* where the paragraph breaks were intended,
but also looked at about 300 lines of solid text and went "bugger wading
through that lot, hasn't he heard of editing and summarising?"

--
Improvable Tripe: http://tripe.cabal.org.uk/