[londonperl] Re: music to code to

David Alban extasia at extasia.org
Fri Nov 16 14:43:24 GMT 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 3:32 AM, Raphael Mankin <raph at mankin.org.uk> wrote:
> As for Hassler, is it Jakob, Hans Leo or Johann?

Interesting.  I've always heard his name as Hans Leo Hassler, but when
I looked up 'Johann Hassler' in response to your post, I found that
the Hassler of whom I speak (1564-1612) called 'Hans Johann Leo
Hassler'.  My reference was to Hans Leo.  And Jakob, of whom I
previously had not heard, was apparently his brother.

Hassler wrote a motet, Ad dominum cum tribularer, that is unique in my
mind because of its uncharacteristic use of chromaticism for the
period.  I'm surprised it didn't get him burned at the stake.  It's
stunningly beautiful.

    http://www.kantoreiarchiv.de/archiv/a_cappella/motets/hassler/ad_dominum/addominum.mid
    http://www.kantoreiarchiv.de/archiv/a_cappella/motets/hassler/ad_dominum/ad_dominum.pdf

--
Live in a world of your own, but always welcome visitors.