Laptop Recommendations

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Nov 28 19:19:34 GMT 2007

On 28 Nov 2007, at 18:57, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 03:41:53PM +0000, Andy Wardley wrote:
[...]
>> If you absolutely have to run MS windows then ...
> ... it's because someone else wants you to, and they can bloody well
> pay
> for it?

I would be astonished if my employer would pay for it. I'm expected to
test websites on Internet Explorer 7... using an old PowerPC Mac.

It's that sort of thing that makes my job so fun and exciting.

[...]
> I'll probably be getting myself a shiny new Macbook Pro soon.  And I
> think I'll run Windows on it, but in a virtual machine.  My experience
> is that when run as an application Windows isn't that bad.  Presumably
> it helps that VMs present interfaces for very well-known hardware to
> the
> OS so there's less device driver pain.

Also, you're unlikely to be installing games and random bits of dodgy
freeware in it, because the former won't work, and the latter is
irrelevant because you have the equivalents on the Mac side.