Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Fri Jan 25 12:30:19 GMT 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:00:33 +0000
Peter Hickman <peter.hickman at semantico.com> wrote:

> Cool. If I understand this right all my modules are going to break on 6
> and if I fix them they will be broken on 5.

I think you've made the same mistake most other people make with Perl6
here.

You are presuming that Perl6 is version 6 of that thing that Perl5 is
version 5 of. It isn't. (Though I will admit given the name it's not an
unreasonable first impression).

Perl6 is a new language, that takes its inspiration from Perl5. To claim
that your modules won't work on both, is as obvious a claim as the fact
that the same script isn't both a Bourne and a C shell script, except
perhaps in a few really trivial cases. You'd get just as much mileage in
pointing out a Perl5 .pm file won't work in Python, or Ruby, or any else
of that crowd.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/