RDF Modules

Jonathan Peterson JPeterson at bmjgroup.com
Thu Feb 14 10:45:42 GMT 2008

> RDF is conceptually simple, elegant and expressive. It reminds me
ofLISP.

Yes, but the XML syntax is tiresome. It reminds of LISP written like this:

      1

>  With just a single starting axiom
> ("is") I was able to bootstrap a conceptual universe full of
skateboarding
> badgers.

Whoa! My "We should invest in RDF" business case is practically writing
itself!

> However, I suspect that it'll take another 20 years for it (or something
> like it) to become widely used.

We've just bought a large authentication/authorisation product that uses
RDF internally for all it's customer and account metadata. Admittedly this
is a niche product even by technical publishing standards, but it's
starting to creep in. I don't think they are doing anything you couldn't
do more traditionally, but it's interesting to see the adoption.

> So the Semantic (with a large 'S') Web probably isn't happening any time
> soon... but that shouldn't stop you from creating your own semantic
> applications.

Indeed. I never much liked Tim Berners-Lee's Amazing Semantic Web of
Wonders (tm), but I like some of the formal logical stuff under the hood.

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients www.bmjgroup.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JR, UK.