Shifting SVN dirs around

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Feb 15 12:58:10 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:28:22AM +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:

> Use git/mecurial instead? Tags are then just labels pointing to
> different states of the projects.

But this is essentially also the case in Subversion.  Copying and moving
are very lightweight processes that only change a small amount of
metadata associated with different revisions.

> No directories, no moving and, even
> better, you can change it again if you decide you hate it.

Moving *is* renaming; Simon is doing just what you describe.  In
addition, Subversion provides this filesystem metaphor for organising
your labels.  Some people see this as an advantage, even if others find
it constraining.  If you're in the second camp then that's certainly one
motivation for you using git or mecrcurial or whatever is your
distributed version control system of choice, but for some people at
least, saying "system X doesn't have all this filesystem bollocks" is
making a virtue out of a lack of a feature.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.