Domain renewal question

Mark Knoop mark at rawcane.net
Thu Feb 28 13:43:56 GMT 2008

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 01:02:33PM +0000, IvorW wrote:
>
>>Whois is showing the status as redemptionPeriod. I've never heard of
>>this before. Are registermydomain pulling a fast one?
>
> Yes, but legitimately. To a first approximation, once the domains have
> expired, the registrar can do whatever he likes with them.

I had a similar situation once though I forget which registrar - directNic
or NetworkSolutions. The domain lapsed and then was being held by some other
company who I suspect was affiliated with the resistrar or in fact the same
company. We left it for a bit then offered them $200 and left it for a bit
more and they took it. My advice would be not to let on that the domain is
that important to you, make them small cash offer and see what they come
back with. I suspect they would rather get a small amount of money for no
hassle than risk getting nothing.