a question

asmith9983@gmail.com asmith9983 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:35:21 GMT 2008

Hi
There are two issues here,  Postfix is a MTA, sending messages between mail
servers, From what I've heard Exim is a good alternative,scaling well, and
with load controlling configuration parameters. Downloading email from  the
mail server to the MUA on the user workstation  will likely be using the POP
or IMAP protocols. If each mail message is large, maybe caused by large
attachments, or the network infrastructure being slow.
Without details of the
sort I've mentioned, I don't think you can accurately comment on your
council's plans. If they have postfix, then they have some FOSS in place, and
maybe this proposal is an attempt to kill it off.

--
Andrew