Better Perl

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Apr 3 16:57:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 05:19:18PM +0200, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:

> My thinking was following: We need other people to use Perl (positive
> externality and all that) - and it looks that Perl does not attract
> any new developers (nor any new startups).  To counter that trend we
> need some new excitement in Perl.

I've heard people saying that for over 10 years.

Perl still isn't dead, it's still kicking, and it will be around for a while.

Furthermore, I do not believe a language needs a "killer application",
nor a myriad of shops using said language as their main programming
language. Neither duct tape, nor post-it notes have a "killer application",
nor are the products consisting mostly of duct tape or post-it notes.
But noone is afraid those products are "dying".

I have always believed that Perl strength lies in it being a toolbox.

Abigail