Better Perl

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Apr 7 13:18:49 BST 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:07:06AM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On 4/4/08, Jonathan Stowe <jns at gellyfish.com> wrote:
> >                                           crappy little web sites full
> > of vacuous ideas and rounded corners with no business plan, I don't
> > believe that is a clear indicator of anything - personally I'd rather
> > they'd all fuck off and do their stuff in PHP
>
> You mean like facebook? (PHP)
> Or Wikipedia? (PHP)
> Or Digg? (PHP)
> Or Youtube? (Py)
> Or Bebo? (ASP)
> Or MySpace? (ASP)
> Or Orkut? (was ASP)
> Or match.com? (ASP)
> Or *.google.com? (Java, C++, Py)
> Or about any other multi-box site you care to mention? (!Perl)
>
> LiveJournal, Typepad do use Perl. Anyone else??
>
> Any perl businesses with multi-<s>billion</s> million, even, dollar valuations?
>
> Morgan Stanley doesn't count :-)

Why doesn't it count?  It's a business that uses perl.  Here's a few
other perl-using businesses:

* Amazon
* the Catholic church
* Microsoft

shall I continue?  Yes, I shall.  Here's some non-businesses that I know
use perl, no doubt there are zillions of others:

* the British Antarctic Survey
* the US Navy (I presume that others do too, but I *know* they do)
* the BBC

On the other hand, if by "perl business" you mean a business for whom
perl is the be-all and end-all instead of merely a useful tool - then
I'm with Brother Stowe.  They can fuck off, and take the weenies with
them.  I'd rather work for any of the six I listed over any of those you
listed.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

  Irregular English:
    ladies glow; gentlemen perspire; brutes, oafs and athletes sweat