Better Perl

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Mon Apr 7 13:41:56 BST 2008

On 4/7/08, Peter Hickman <peter.hickman at semantico.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Clark wrote:
>
> > This is good people who know Perl, or good people generally?
> >

>  For us it was finding Perl programmers that were actually living on the
> same planet. They might have been geniuses but they couldn't read a job spec
> to save their lives. We are a web development company based in Brighton so
> if you don't want to be a web developer or work in Brighton you would assume
> that you wouldn't actually apply for the job. You'd think wouldn't you.

Presumably you were also explicit about telecommute being not an option?

I'm part of a London-based co. and the lead developer doesn't even
live in London. In fact, all the developers contributing to the perl
code base are not in London.

If you think recruiting for perl is bad, try recruiting for a
flatmate. Checking the "no couples" box we'd still regularly see
upwards of one every half dozen applications being from a couple. Now
add in a few other obvious axes (non-smoking, got-a-job, etc) and it
does look like a waste of time. Our solution was to put something in
the ad that required a specific response, and then more or less
immediately discard any replies that didn't refer to this specific
aspect. Worked a treat.