Better Perl

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Mon Apr 7 13:56:27 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 14:19 +0200, Philip Newton wrote:
> Though even making #perl-experts probably wouldn't help -- you'd get
> newbies going, "Hm, I could either ask in the general #perl channel,
> where everybody hangs out, or in #perl-experts, where they're all
> experts. I think I really need an answer from an expert, so I'll go
> bother them."

I don't think the majority of newcomers would take that decision path.
You could probably cut down on this potential problem by choosing the
channel name more carefully than I did in my example - perhaps
#perl-advanced, or
#perl-do-not-ask-us-about-your-sodding-website-project  ;)

Actually, freenode doesn't currently have a #perlmonks - perhaps that
would be a good place for more experienced users to chat, without
attracting 'hero worshippers'?

By the way, the term newbie is, in my experience, generally used in a
mildly disparaging manner.  If you don't mean it that way, you might
want to consider whether it's the best word to use when English has more
neutral terms such as newcomer or beginner.

Regards,
Denny