access to MSSQL?

Struan Donald struan at exo.org.uk
Tue Apr 8 09:25:05 BST 2008

* at 07/04 21:32 +0100 Tom Hukins said:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 10:03:57AM +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 11:43 +0300, Michael wrote:
> > > Anyone having an experience in fixing a program to be working in a linux
> > > platform and to be retrieving data from MSSQL at windows PC?
> >
> > Yes. There are several ways:
> >
> >   a) use DBD::ODBC (with either the unixodbc or iOdbc libraries) with
> > the FreeTDS drivers.
> >
> >   b) use DBD::Sybase with either FreeTDS or Sybase libraries
>
> I've encountered problems with both these solutions in certain
> situations.  Sometimes they work fine, but it seems to depend on what
> you do with them.  I've been working with an old MSSQL 7.0 database,
> so I suspect that doesn't help.

It's from a long time ago but I seem to recall that the TDS stuff can
be quite fussy about some of the settings as otherwise it sends the
wrong version of TDS commands for the relevant database. ISTR that,
as ever, google is your friend on this. Heck, the documentation might
even mention it these days.