Perl advocacy/Logos

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 11:17:00 BST 2008

On 08/04/2008, Adrian Lai <perl at loathe.me.uk> wrote:
> On 08/04/2008, Bradley Dean <bjdean at bjdean.id.au> wrote:
>  > Just a quick thought - having the sentence "Perl is a dead language" as
>  >  part of the first thing you read on the advocacy page might give the wrong
>  >  impression.
>  >
>  >  If I'm a person/organisation thinking about using perl and come across the
>  >  page I might not have heard that "perl is dead" - but I have now. Given
>  >  that I've heard about it on a perl community page I might stop reading
>  >  there for a moment and go looking around for why _not_ to use perl (whereas
>  >  I started looking for why I _should_ use perl).
>

> Yes - thank you. I was never particularly happy with my phrasing.
>  Threw it together in a bit of a rush and then couldn't think of any
>  vast improvements I could make.
>  I'll probably use your text unless there are any huge complaints...

I'd suggest removing any mention of Perl being dead, it isn't.

Advocacy of this sort is like a CV - only a fool would say "some
people call me an unreliable sociopath, but they're wrong".

There is nothing wrong with a page about perl highlighting the
positives and ignoring negative rumours, it's not like the python
homepage starts off with "yeah the whole indenting thing smells of
cobol and is offputting for the first few weeks, but really it's
great"

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk