Perl advocacy/Logos

Bradley Dean bjdean at bjdean.id.au
Tue Apr 8 11:49:53 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 11:36:13AM +0100, virtualsue wrote:
> Adrian Lai wrote:
> >On 08/04/2008, Bradley Dean <bjdean at bjdean.id.au> wrote:
> >>Just a quick thought - having the sentence "Perl is a dead language" as
> >> part of the first thing you read on the advocacy page might give the
> >> wrong
> >> impression.
> >>
> >> If I'm a person/organisation thinking about using perl and come across
> >> the
> >> page I might not have heard that "perl is dead" - but I have now. Given
> >> that I've heard about it on a perl community page I might stop reading
> >> there for a moment and go looking around for why _not_ to use perl
> >> (whereas
> >> I started looking for why I _should_ use perl).
> >
> >Yes - thank you. I was never particularly happy with my phrasing.
> >Threw it together in a bit of a rush and then couldn't think of any
> >vast improvements I could make.
> >I'll probably use your text unless there are any huge complaints...
> >

> I don't see why you would say it at all. It's best left off the page
> altogether IMO.

I'd agree with this as well. I left it in as it was there - maybe you could
go with something like:

 London is home to many companies for whom Perl is a core technology - both
 in existing and new projects.

 The London Perl M[ou]ngers have put together this list of just some of
 these companies.

 If you represent a company that uses Perl and would like to be included on
 this page, please contact the webmaster including a logo, url and short
 description of your company.

Cheerio,

 Brad

--
Bradley Dean
Software Engineer - http://bjdean.id.au/
Email: bjdean at bjdean.id.au Skype: skype at bjdean.id.au
Mobile(Aus): +61-413014395 Mobile(UK): +44-7846895073