Better Perl

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Tue Apr 8 12:54:58 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:13 PM, Paul Johnson <paul at pjcj.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>  > On 4/7/08, ben at bpfh.net <ben at bpfh.net> wrote:
>  > > On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:04:21PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>  > >  >
>  > >  >There's a difference between 'business relies on X' and 'business uses
>  > >  >X'. Sure MS use Perl, so do Google, and Amazon. Do either company
>  > >  >_remotely_ rely on it? No. (I'd be curious to hear from people working
>  > >  >in finance who use other languages what perl's role in the finance
>  > >  >world actually is. There seems to generally be a lot of overstatement
>  > >  >of perl's use in certain businesses in this thread.)
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > In my opinion, it would be serious misconduct on the part of anyone
>  > >  who worked for a financial institution to discuss the inner workings
>  > >  of systems in sufficient depth to satisfy this thread on a publicly
>  > >  archived list.
>  >
>  > Well then, I'm sure we'd be happy to hear from anyone no longer
>  > working at a financial institution ;-)
>  >
>  > Or, joking aside, information revealed that's within their sense of conscience.
>
>  Ooh, show and tell!  I'll go first.
>
>  This is how Perl is used in the heady world of international finance.
>  Or at least as much as I am allowed to reveal under Swiss banking
>  secrecy laws.
>
>   http://www.pjcj.net/yapc/yapc-eu-2007-glueing-a-bank-together/slides/
>
>  Surprisingly enough, those are the slides from my 2007 presentation
>  "Glueing A Bank Together" at YAPC::Eu in Vienna.

Cool stuff. Thanks!

>  [ Note to future employers:  I recieved permission from all the right
>   people to say all the things I said. ]
>
>  OK, now it's your turn.
>
>  Tell us something exciting about how Google is using dynamic languages.

Funny you should ask! Well, Google thinks python is important enough
to hire its author, Guido v Rossum. And he's part of a team that's
been working on making python accessible in a hosted environment,
along with Django and friends. It's pretty damn cool.

"Google App Engine enables you to build web applications on the same
scalable systems that power Google applications."

http://code.google.com/appengine/