Memcaching Plan of Attack

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 14:27:12 BST 2008

On 11/04/2008, Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 11 Apr 2008, at 1:39 pm, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > I'd look at where different users are look at the same info
> > repeatedly, and how much work it is to fetch it - sometimes it's
> > easier to optimise on the way in rather than out by using seperate
> > denormalised tables, reverse indexes, etc.
> >

> Usually, you'll find that the tables haven't been properly normalised, and
> have lots of bad indexes (not updated; on booleans or variable width; not
> very unique) or none at all.

That doesn't help if you're doing ROLAP, which I assume is required here.

>  Denormalisation is the very last thing I'd do in an OLTP database.

But it's the first thing I'd do with ROLAP, and other "slow to
calculate, but want quick results" scenarios, that's all that reverse
indexes underlying full text searching is - usually no ammount of
query optimisation, etc will result in good fast full text searching,
same applies to plenty of complex OLAP stuff.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk