Memcaching Plan of Attack

Jason Tang jason at dragor.net
Fri Apr 11 14:58:07 BST 2008

On Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 12:49:11PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> Jason Tang wrote:
> >I'm trying to work out if there is anything in the app I dont mind being
> >out of date. I'm struggling as its a webapp that people use for the
> >backoffice processes and so everything kind of needs to be up-to-date.
>
> Then you probably don't want a cache. What's the problem you're trying
> to solve ?

Its abit of a juggling game really. Trying to move away raw sql dotted
all over the repository to something abit more organised - DBIC. In
converting to DBIC its taken a notable hit on response time. 0.25s -
2.5s and SQL DBIC generated is pretty close to the original. I'm
investigating other avenues (memcached) as well as improving my DBIC-fu.

I've tried memcached with a 2min TTL and it _might_ be an okay
compromise. Maybe reduce it a little more.

Also the existing schema can be much improved but does mean reworking
alot of legacy stuff. Meh

Jason
Jason Tang  - email: jason at dragor.net - msn: jason-msn at dragor.net