Memcaching Plan of Attack

Richard Foley Richard.Foley at rfi.net
Fri Apr 11 15:55:37 BST 2008

On Friday 11 April 2008 11:17:13 Jason Tang wrote:

> I'm trying to work out if there is anything in the app I dont mind being
> out of date. I'm struggling as its a webapp that people use for the
> backoffice processes and so everything kind of needs to be up-to-date.

Another thing to be wary of is assuming it's the db that is the problem.  Of
course it could be, but just having 3 queries doesn't mean you have a slow
response time.  Do the same SQL queries run from the db commandline tool take
the same length of time?  Another question to ask might be what is happening
during or around those queries, and how much data is being returned, and
whether it's all necessary.  Are the tables correctly indexed?  Do you have
logging enabled which adds extra overhead?  Is the code which handles the
returned data optimised, or spaghetti-like, or excessively object-oriented
(at the price of speed)?  Have you run performance benchmarks against the
code to see if you have any hot-spots you can concentrate on?  There are no
magic wands to wave over performance issues, there's usually a bit of digging
to do.

--
Richard Foley
Ciao - shorter than aufwiedersehen