Top 10 perl books

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 12:20:49 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:56:01AM +0200, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> It's a good jumping off point for discussion. And then turn the
> criticisms off in perlcritic :)

I think this is spot on, the book provides a framework for discussing
what is and isnt important to the development team. (I really do sound
like some consultant drone). And without this framework its more than
likely that the discussion would just ramble on with no outcome.

If you take the main topics from the book and use them as an agenda and
discuss them (with a time limit) you can probably reach that rare
thing among developers a concensus. (yip theres the consultant drone
again).

But on the subject of books, the one Perl book in recent years I'd
really recommend is HOP. It will turn an average Perl hacker into a
great one.

MJD has basically put into book form what competitive advantage my CS
degree gave me. And he's also quite simply one of those guys who makes
you long for O level Maths again, where it was easy to be the smartest
person in the class, he's even planning to share the text of HOP on
his site for free[1], don't you just hate him ;-).

G.

[1] http://hop.perl.plover.com/#free