"Social Networking" sites

Dave Hodgkinson davehodg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:41:22 BST 2008

On 24 Apr 2008, at 13:25, Denny wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 13:09 +0200, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>> Have I missed any important ones from this list:
>>
>> Mypsace
>> Facebook
>> Linkedin
>> Ecademy
>> dopplr
>> last.fm
>
>> Ignoring bebo and dating sites obviously.
>
> Also ignoring LiveJournal and imitators?
>
> How about microblogging communities such as Jaiku and Twitter?
>
> Media-focused sites with group/community features, e.g. flickr,
> youtube...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites
> suggests
> Advogato  :)  (okay, you said important)
>
> It also suggests Meetup, which may be 'important' enough to feature on
> your list...  I've run across it being used in a few different social
> contexts, both professional networking and hobby stuff.

I'll take flickr for sure, meetup is a possible. Blogging sites tend
to get linked to from SN profiles so they'll come out in the wash.

In the first instance I'm looking at sites where people might tend to
use
their real identities. (Ok, so not myspace so much then).

Dave Hodgkinson                                MSN: davehodg at hotmail.com
Site: http://www.davehodgkinson.com                   UK: +44 7768 49020
Blog: http://davehodg.blogspot.com                    NL: +31 654 982906
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davehodg