"Social Networking" sites

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 24 14:18:20 BST 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Denny wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 12:25 +0100, Denny wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 13:09 +0200, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>>> Have I missed any important ones from this list:
>>>
>>> Mypsace
>>> Facebook
>>> Linkedin
>>> Ecademy
>>> dopplr
>>> last.fm
>>
>> [...]
>> It also suggests Meetup, which may be 'important' enough to feature
>> on
>> your list...  I've run across it being used in a few different social
>> contexts, both professional networking and hobby stuff.
>
> Thinking about this a bit more, personally I really wouldn't include
> LinkedIn on a list of social networking sites.  It's purely a
> professional networking site as far as I'm aware.

So work isn't social then?

It's not recreational, but surely it's social.

Likewise, no one seems to have mentioned Plaxo, which seems very
useful (but possibly more professional than recreational).

Also, I don't use most of these myself, but what about sites/services
like del.icio.us, digg, reddit, Skype/AIM/etc... ?

--
Chris Devers