"Social Networking" sites

Merijn Broeren merijnb at iloquent.com
Thu Apr 24 16:12:33 BST 2008

Quoting Spiros Denaxas (spiros at lokku.com):
> >  Depends whom you ask. Ask a Brazilian or Indian and you'd likely get
> >  "very important" :-)
>
> You are absolutely right. Orkut is in fact #4 in India according to
> Alexa's distorted reality representation:
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cmgkc
>
> I was'nt aware that it was _that_ important to be honest and from time
> to time I was wondering if anybody actually uses it or not :)

It's even bigger in Brazil:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=BR&ts_mode=country&lang=none

Advertising IRL there gives out Orkut names, not URLs.

Similarly in .nl you're nobody until you're part of the hyve:

http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=NL&ts_mode=country&lang=none

The non english web is quite large.

;-)
--
Merijn Broeren | We take risks, we know we take them. Therefore, when things