MUDs in Perl

Norman Nunley nnunley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:19:46 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Kake L Pugh <kake at earth.li> wrote:

> On Mon 28 Apr 2008, Norman Nunley <nnunley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You might consider http://www.boutell.com/perlmud/
> >
> > It's based on the TinyMUD world, but it's definitely in perl,
> extensible,
> > and maintained.
>
> Thanks!  That does look interesting.  Though the code looks a bit...
> old-fashioned, and they want me to send them a fiver before they'll
> let me see the documentation.

And now have to apologise. I'd have to agree with you that's it's a bit odd
that it's shareware.  For some reason, I thought that it was under an open
source license, and should have read the URL I posted here before burning
cycles.  The primary reason why it came to mind is because it's being
actively used by the interactive fiction community (search for ifmud in your
search engine of choice.)  They've some interesting additions to their core
-- sql database bindings to save the core, channels,  their bbs, and various
quotes, as well as a few bots.  It does appear that you'd be required to do
much of the heavy lifting, given the state of the default perlmud core.

Amusingly, google did reveal a truly open source perl/POE-based mud at
http://poemud.sourceforge.net/.  Looks like it's been dead for about 3
years, development-wise. Still, it might provide a better base for what you
have in mind.

> (Not that I begrudge a fiver, but it does feel a bit odd.)

And, after this post, I believe I might owe you a fiver for the digression.
:)

Norman