MUDs in Perl

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Wed Apr 30 04:51:40 BST 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Kake L Pugh wrote:

> On Mon 28 Apr 2008, Simon Wistow <simon at thegestalt.org> wrote:
> > Shevek, occasionally of this parish, wrote an LPC driver in Perl for
> > Anarres
> >
> > http://www.anarres.org/projects/amd/
>
> Hm, I was sure I'd mentioned this in my original mail but it looks
> like I took that part out.  Anyway: Anarres::Mud::Driver is
> unmaintained, doesn't compile on my laptop (which is where I want to
> run it, at least at first), and only gets me LPC anyway, which I don't
> really want for various reasons.

You are at the mouths of madness
> Enter madness

You begin discussing MUDs in their various forms...

---
What kind of mud do you want?  LPC seems out.  Do you want Diku, TinyMUD
(for which I have a fondness), Mush, Muck, Moo, or some other type?

Shifting away from the code type - sounds like you want a mud where people
can build objects and selves for social purposes, not necessarily for hack
and slash so much as storytelling, yes?  Tiny, Mu* or Moo would be the
best, by my recollection.

<http://www.andreasen.org/newmud/> lists various codebases, each one's
development stage, and applicable platforms.  Several stable ones are
written in C.

You could also download an opensource codebase for, say, MUSH.  Wikipedia
says the code is open; whether it runs on your laptop is another matter.

John