Apache, mod_perl, SOAP, Windows

Mark Knoop mark at rawcane.net
Tue Aug 19 15:58:29 BST 2008

Thanks for your replies...

From: "Jonathan Stowe" <jns at rabidgravy.com>
> On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 18:47 +0100, Jonathan Stowe wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 17:05 +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > To cut a long story short, we are running Activestate on a Windows 2003
>> > Server with IIS6 and I need to build a SOAP server.
>>
>> IIS6 on Windows 2003 already *is* a SOAP server as it has native support
>> for ASP.NET web services, under those circumstances I would consider
>
> That is "wouldn't" ------------------------------------------^
>
>> hacking together a half baked Perl solution to be a waste of time and
>> effort which will almost certainly not work as well.
>>
>> /J\

Yeah I thought about this but I'm kinda trying to be less dependent on IIS
plus I would be starting from scratch with .NET and not sure how easy it
would be to get it to integrate with the rest of my crap. Are those
assumptions inaccurate/irrelvant?

From: "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk>
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 05:05:36PM +0100, Mark Knoop wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> To cut a long story short, we are running Activestate on a Windows 2003
>> Server with IIS6 and I need to build a SOAP server. I would like to
>> consider moving to Linux at some stage in the future but that is some way
>> off.
>>
>> I am considering the benefits on to installing Apache/mod_perl(2?)
>> initially to use for running the SOAP server but with a view to migrating
>> our other CGI::Apps later as a stepping stone on the way to Linux but
>> also
>> to improve performance, to gain some new skills etc.
>
> XML::Compile::SOAP + Catalyst::Controller::SOAP.
>
> Catalyst buys you hosting environment independence so you can run
> standalone or as CGI or as FCGI or as mod_perl at your will.
>
> Plus there's a fairly huge community of people willing to help, including
> plenty windows users.

Cool - that sounds interesting.

From: "Mark Overmeer" <mark at overmeer.net>

> If you are brave, you could try XML::Compile::SOAP::Daemon.  It is
> a stand-alone, fully equiped SOAP server... although not yet tested
> in serious applications (as far as I know)  It is much easier than
> Apache and mod_perl
> --
> Regards,
>
>               MarkOv

Ah ok - this sounds like a good starting point for a dummy app to test
against which I can look at Catalyzing later perhaps...

Thanks for the pointers guys.

Best
Mark