svk v git + possible gig

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Mon Sep 8 20:57:55 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 17:59:26 +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> Anyway, so has anyone moved from svk to git? Any thoughts on the experience?

Yes, I now use git-svn on most of my projects now.

I use SVK when there are many subprojects in the same repository,
because they can share downloaded revisions that way.

I like it a lot, it gives me all the nice features I missed from
darcs.

The UI is horrible though, and unlike SVK which is pretty much
subversion's command set with a few additional commands, git is also
horribly documented (the best resources are usually google and
people's blogs), and the commands are named in a way that makes
perfect sense, but only after you've actually understood what it's
for and how it works.

> Has anyone used perforce? Do you also think it makes the OSS VCS look
> especially weak?

I've used perforce at work, and didn't like it. It's really
constrained into the corporate mindset of "The IT department knows
best" and is kind of limiting that way.

It's like subversion, but branching support actually exists (there
are proper ways to merge branches, cherry pick, etc).

I personally prefer both SVK and git over perforce. SVK adds
everythings that's missing from subversion and gives you
disconnected operations too.

--
  Yuval Kogman <nothingmuch at woobling.org>
http://nothingmuch.woobling.org  0xEBD27418