svk v git + possible gig

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Tue Sep 9 01:09:05 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 05:59:26PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> I first heard about svk at the Nordic Perl conf a few years back and
> it seemed popular. Disappointment ensued however when I looked at the
> docs. I still to this day have only the most rudimentary understanding
> of what an smerge is, and the docs seem just as weak. I know people
> work hard on this project but it just doesn't seem well documented.
> The FAQ's first entry: "    * How can I set multi-line properties like
> svn:ignore? " I mean, seriously?! When I've asked others about this
> I've had agreement and "ask on IRC".
>
> Anyway, so has anyone moved from svk to git? Any thoughts on the experience?

I've been using git for the past year, and am quite liking it. Initial learning
curve can be steep for people coming from non-distributed systems like cvs or
svn, but there are a lot of guides and HOWTOs out there, and it is
exceptionally powerful and *fast* to use.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world