svk v git + possible gig

Billy Abbott billy at cowfish.org.uk
Tue Sep 9 11:21:10 BST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:

> 2008/9/8 Nicholas Clark <nick at ccl4.org>:
>> On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 05:59:26PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone used perforce? Do you also think it makes the OSS VCS look
>>> especially weak?
>>
>> I am much happier with its merge support than raw subversion, or subversion
>> (1.4) + svn-merge.py. I've not yet tried subversion 1.5 on this front.
>>
>> Apart from that, perforce generally annoys me because
>>
>> a: it defaults to "whole checkout" rather than "this directory downwards",
>>   which can confuse me, and makes it damn hard to have 2+ checkouts on one
>>   machine
>> b: the architectural arrogance of the "you don't need a command to reliably
>>   reverse a changeset" (and how integration of an add and then an edit works)
>> c: because it's most definitely not offline
>
> d. one needs to p4-edit files one want to modify, and even if they're
> not modified, they're still part of the submitted changeset.

While not an ideal solution, you can easily remove any files you don't
want in the change set when you submit. I use a command line client and
just chop off any files that I haven't modded in the interactive check-in
form. You can also pass an option to change the behaviour to only submit
changed files -
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.current/manuals/cmdref/submit.html

> e. p4 won't warn you about new files you might want to add.In the
> same vein, there's no support for the like of
> .cvsignore/.gitignore/svn:ignore etc.

This is really annoying and we've written tools for people to run before
checking stuff in to make sure that we don't miss stuff.

--billy

--
http://billyabbott.co.uk