Is -C useless?

Nicholas Clark nick at ccl4.org
Thu Sep 11 14:13:55 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:03:41PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:52:31PM +0100, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
>
> > By the way, this is perl 5.10. I think it used to work on 5.8.8.
>
> For some value of "work" which was actually "silently fail"

Post in haste, repent at leisure.

I think that it's (at least) a significant subset of what it says it does
that it fails on, if -C is first processed by the perl interpreter after
opening the file, rather than being passed in when the kernel (or user)
invokes the perl interpreter with it on the command line.

The change I remember had happened turns out to be this one:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch_num=24070&show_patch=Show+Patch

as a result of this bug report:

http://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=34087

I wasn't involved in any of this, so I don't fully understand the issues.

Nicholas Clark