24x7 on-call rates

Dominic Thoreau dominic.thoreau at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:53:07 BST 2008

2008/10/1 Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at gmail.com>:

> On 1 Oct 2008, at 11:04, Stewart Anderson wrote:
>

>> I got so cheesed off in previous  roles that I now say,   "if you want
>> me on 24x7 call,  you are paying me 24x7, the rate is negotiable!"
>
> That's a really good point. The rate should be punitive enough that
> management don't get complacent about regular callouts.

There's also a need for an allowance for simply being on call:
Think about it - you can't go out for dinner, a movie, drinking, or
anything   And again, the rate needs to be high enough that management
don't try just to put the whole dev team on that all the time. Which
would probably lead to a mass exodus anyway. Maybe they should, call
it an object lesson....

Dominic
--
No train here, but still: