Perl is dead

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Thu Dec 4 12:33:13 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:45:02AM +0000, David Dorward wrote:
> Léon Brocard wrote:
>> Did anyone go to the London Perl Workshop this weekend?
>> About 200.
>>

> Including me. It was very well organised and had some great talks.

Aren't most Perl events (more than 20 worldwide in 2008, more than
10 already announced for 2009) only reaching people *within* the Perl
community?

"Not dying" also means reaching new and young programmers that will
continue to use Perl when we live on pension.

How do we reach people outside the community after having spent so much
time talking to ourselves?

Could going to universities and engineering schools giving presentations
about Perl and real-world experience be part of the solution? (As long
as we don't forget to tell them how Perl made solving the problem at
hand so much easier and faster...)

Free, open events like the London Perl Workshop are certainly also
part of the solution, but they need to be advertised outside of the
Perl community.

Also, joint events with other "dynamic langages" (FSDO dynamic) like the
OSDC.fr we're working on with the French Perl, Python and Ruby communities
could also help share knowledge and exchange ideas. And maybe grab the
attention of the bystanders that came because they keep hearing about
that RoR thing.

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Be careful when you take one side or the other. You could wind up in the
 middle.                            (Moral from Groo The Wanderer #33 (Epic))