Drobo and DroboShare experiences

Simon Wistow simon at thegestalt.org
Mon Dec 8 21:27:40 GMT 2008

I have a Drobo which is kind of like a RAID array for dummies and I love
it. Experience tells me that attempting to replicate the functionality
using a 'cheap' Linux box or similar would result in considerable
faffage, compromises, despite the Drobo's not insignificant cost, would
probably cost me more money.

The kicker for me with the Drobo is to be able to painlessly add and
remove drives of all different sizes, brands and colours even whilst
it's in the middle of backing up something else.

As one review said "It's got to be a pretty bad month for me to not be
able to afford a new 500Gb drive" - currently I have mine full of 4
500Gb drives for 1.5Tb of usable space (500Gb drives being approximately
$50 here) and, if and when that starts filling up I'll start replacing
them one by one with 1Tb drives. When *they* start filling up then 2Tb
drives will be the price of the 1Tb drives today and the cycle can begin
anew.

Hakuna matata.

Currently I have my Drobo connected to an NSLU2 - the cheapo Linux
running NAS device from Linksys. It is good and works fine and with
practically no fuss and I can stream data off it just fine but,
especially if its been idle for a while, initially navigating into
directory is sluggish to say the least. Anecdotal evidence on the
intawebs seems to suggest that such behaviour is common and was
introduced in the r63 firmware (or, at least, after r29) but downgrading
is not an option since, for maximum compatability I format my drive as
FAT32 which only came after r29.

So, keeping in the spirit of "I'd rather pay money than spend my life
dealing with crap that should Just Work[tm]" I'm looking for experiences
on the DroboShare if anyone has them. The DroboShare is Drobo's own NAS
device and, at $200, it's not cheap. If it suffers from the same problem
(i.e, it's just a limitation of the SMB protocol or similar) then
there's no point me upgrading since my current set up works and is not
unusable by any stretch of the imagination.

Other experiences with NAS devices is also welcome however, for the
record

* OSX can't seem to share a FAT32 USB drive for reasons which I can only
  presume are spite. It's possible that the latest version of the OS
  fixes this but this would require me to go buy that and then faff
  about installing it on the Mc Mini that lurks behind the sofa.

* I've tried plugging it into an Airport Extreme. Despite having the
  latest firmware it threw up its tiny hands towards the sky and then
  carked it with nothing but a useless blinking amber light for
  diagnostics.