Easy install Perl (was Perl is ...)

bloke@perlbloke.com bloke at perlbloke.com
Tue Dec 9 19:06:02 GMT 2008

I was a bit late to weigh in on this point before the original thread was closed...

>Hi Stefano!
>
>> Ok for Perl as a language, but the point gains sense if Perl is considered
>> as a technology. For example, I think PHP gained momentum for the
>> simplicity of the installing procedures of products based on it.
>
>I think this simplicity of those installations derives from the fact that
>providers are easily able to build a php/mod_php which includes the most used
>things (mail functions, database access, image processing) directly into the
>php binary. PHP programmers only need to upload their .php files via FTP and
>they just work. No modules to install, it's all already there.

Now PHP has grown a lot of scripts need different PHP extensions installed. But due to the popularity of PHP hosts are generally more than willing to do this.

>Should we go as far as creating a "mod_lightperl" alike to mod_php, which
>makes the interpreter stay resident and and bundles the commonly used
>web-related
>modules?

I don't think this is the way forward. But having a way of getting Perl to be like this with an established technology like FastCGI would be very useful. That way standard CGI scripts would be able to take advantage of already having the interpreter loaded without having to code specifically for FastCGI. Something like mod_lightperl would keep things tied in with apache, whereas FastCGI works with Apache, IIS, LigHTTPD and a lot of others.

>> Like embperl?
>> http://perl.apache.org/embperl/
>
>Yes, exactly like this, plus the smoothing of some of the edges. Along
>with the bundles you were talking about (CPAN-Standard, ...) this could
>provide the fast way to setup an Apache-based environment where user can
>just "upload they're pages with some Perl within and go" (like they do
>with PHP).

A project for bundles has already been started. http://www.perlcertifiedhosting.com/index.html although things are on pause at the moment while the wiki gets sorted and a project path outlined. I know they are still open for new people to get involved.

I was lucky enough to be at one of the B&BPM meets where one of the members spoke about a new project called PerlSI (Perl Scriptable Installer). The aim of this was to address the issues of getting Perl applications installed on machines quickly and easily. Such as installing and configuring Apache if needed, installing all the deps, etc. Including installing XS modules in a shared hosting environment. Giving the user a friendly GUI or command line interface and the developer an easy framework to adapt to their needs. They said after spending weeks looking into things and all the options, Perl actually has the potential for apps to be easier to install that PHP ones in a variety of hosting environments including IIS and Apache. I'm sure there will be a notification of this project on this list once some headway has been made.

PerlBloke