Perl is Alive!

Greg McCarroll greg at mccarroll.org.uk
Tue Dec 9 21:58:54 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:25:25PM +0100, bloke at perlbloke.com wrote:
> Nige wrote:-
>
> >p.s. maybe we could have an auction item - let's buy back perl.com?
>
> This sounds like a good idea.

It sounds like a terrible idea.

It's not a good auction item - trust me. It also doesn't achieve much and
it takes cash away from other worthwhile projects.

If Tom has a deal with ORA (sorry O'R) then it's his business, if I
was him, and I'm not, I'd want to see the value of moving the domain
name before even entering into the discussion, and currently perl.com
offers good content. And the association with a large company like O'R
is only good for Perl's reputation.

Also perl.com is hosted at O'R's expense, with their design and
development and it looks pretty good. And I personally trust them
fully with the job.

It's important to remember that there, imho, and Lenzo can disagree,
would probably have been no YAPC if it wasn't for O'R and then
probably no TPF at least with the sequence of events that led to it
'in this timeline' ;-).

There is a lot of work to be done to help Perl, not least the core
development that I believe is seeing less resource, and arguing about
the ownership of a domain name and 2nd guessing what Tom is doing is a
waste of our time.

If you really want to help perl.com, perl.org or perlbuzz; write some
articles that appeal to the wider world outside the goldfish bowl of
the Perl community.

Greg