Copyright Theft (was Re: # and believe me, Perl is still alive... still alive!...)

Jonathan Stowe jns at integration-house.com
Wed Dec 10 13:13:50 GMT 2008

2008/12/10 Dirk Koopman <djk at tobit.co.uk>:
> Jonathan Stowe wrote:
>>
>> <Excised the URL to copyright violating material>
>>
>> I'll put your attempt to get us to participate in copyright theft down
>> to naivete, stupidity or youthful enthusiasm but please do not do this
>> again. There are O'Reilly published authors on this list who I am sure
>> wouldn't like you to be stealing from them and the majority of the
>> other members of the list generally sympathise with that position.  I
>> had assumed that everyone on this list had reached a level of
>> sophistication where they realized this was the prevailing viewpoint,
>> I'm sorry to discover that I am wrong.
>>
>> This goes for everyone else on the list. Posting links to copyright
>> infringing material like this is absolutely forbidden. Not only will
>> anyone who contravenes this by removed from the list so will anyone
>> who thinks they would like to argue with me about this.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>

> Not really, no. It appears that the author is directly responsible for
> publishing his work, on his website.
>
> In what way is that violating his copyright?

I think you are confusing Nicholases announcement of MJDs Higher Order
Perl to the post to which I was replying which contained a well know
URL to a site on a Ukrainian domain that is serving infringing copies
of O'Reilly books.

or are you actually suggesting that "Yuriy Mykhaylov" is a secret
author of the third edition of Programming Perl ?

/J\