Copyright Theft (was Re: # and believe me, Perl is still alive... still alive!...)

Nigel Hamilton nigel at turbo10.com
Wed Dec 10 15:02:21 GMT 2008

2008/12/10 Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com>

> I am really sorry for starting this.  I hereby publicly apologize to
> Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen, Randal L. Schwartz and the publisher.

Don't be sorry. You haven't breached their copyright - it's perfectly
acceptable "fair use" for you to take a small tract of text and use it with
acknowledgement to the authors.

But I think the response you received shows - unfairness, cluelessness and
hypocrisy:

* unfairness - I think Larry, Tom and Randal wanted that passage to mean
something - isn't it  sad and ironic that in 2008 it was used to whack some
over the head?

* cluelessness - some people have argued vociferously about IP yet they
don't really understand it.

* hypocrisy - why won't they stand up for the IP rights of The Perl
Foundation?

You have a right to be here and a right to respect and so do your ideas.

This is a seriously sad day for Perl.

You deserve an apology and I hope you get it.

NIge