Perl Christmas Quiz

Paul Fenwick pjf at perltraining.com.au
Fri Dec 12 14:17:33 GMT 2008

Chris Jack wrote:
> I was feeling bored so decided to write a Perl Christmas quiz.

[SPOILERS]

All answers are from the top of my head, without any research....

> 1) Name as many different reasons as you can that Larry Wall has given
> for how Perl came to be named (including where he has given them). Make
> up a brand new reason of your own.

Something about it originally being "Pearl", but there was already a
"Pearl", so the 'a' got dropped.

Something similar to the above, but the reason being that all good Unix
commands had four letters.

Something about it being called Gloria first of all, but that having bad
marital implications if the language didn't fare too well.

Something about a biblical reference to a "pearl of great price".

> 2) Name all the built in file handles in Perl.

STDIN/STDOUT/STDERR/ARGV/ARGVOUT/DATA.

> 3) Write a Perl function that takes two references to arrays and returns
> the intersect of them. If an entry appears n times in array 1 and m times
> in array 2, the output should list that entry min(n,m) times. Bonus mark
> for one line solutions.

use Perlmonks;

my $pm = Perlmonks->new;

$pm->post_homework(
	type => "array intersection",
	due  => "tomorrow",
);

> 4) How many different variable types are there in Perl? Be as sensibly
> voluminous in your answer as you are able.

Hashes.

Arrays.

Scalars:
	* Integers
	* Floats
	* Strings
	* Many of the above (eg, $! is a dualvar)