Perl 5.8.8 segfaulting on comments! How can this be?

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Fri Dec 12 17:33:34 GMT 2008

On 12 Dec 2008, at 17:05, Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2008, at 16:38, Andy Wardley wrote:
>
>> I've got a *very* strange problem with Perl segfaulting seemingly at
>> random, but quite predictably based on things that it really
>> shouldn't
>> care about (like comments).
>> [snip]
>> Before I go digging deeper (having already lost most of the
>> afternoon to
>> this), can someone confirm the problem for me?
>
> On Mac OS X Leopard, rev. 5.6.6, I see the segfault using the system
> perl
> (/usr/bin/perl) but not with macports perl (/opt/local/bin/perl).

er, just 10.5.5 that is.

/opt/local/bin/perl -V   [ this one doesn't segfault ]
   Compile-time options: PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_LARGE_FILES USE_PERLIO

/usr/bin/perl -V         [ this one does ]
   Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                       PERL_MALLOC_WRAP USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
                       USE_PERLIO USE_REENTRANT_API

I appear to have been rash in blaming Apple configuration choices
though.

- Mark