My New Job (Was: Social Thurs 8 Jan 2009)

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Mon Jan 5 14:27:38 GMT 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 14:13 +0000, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> Get a bicycle or a scooter. Do your level best in the meantime to ignore any
> commentary from anyone who hasn't actually ridden in London.
>
> P, one minor accident in six years; 6,000+miles covered; god knows how much
> time saved

I was extremely surprised the first few times I rode a motorbike through
central London.  Turns out drivers here often have far better awareness
of the presence of two-wheelers, and are far more likely to helpfully
move over / provide small gaps for you to sneak through / etc, than
those in any of the other (large and small) towns I'd ridden in
previously.

That said, there are still plenty of blind / homicidal drivers out there
too, so it's still best to keep your eyes wide open and your cynicism
turned up to 11.