[OT] finding memory hungry bits of my code

peter@dragonstaff.com peter at dragonstaff.com
Thu Apr 9 14:36:53 BST 2009

Quoting Edmund von der Burg <edmund.vonderburg at gmail.com>:

> I don't think that it is a memory leak - the size tends to remain
> constant after a few requests (it's a webapp - Catalyst under
> mod_perl).

Run 'ab' against your app to check that is indeed the case.
More info at http://modperlbook.org/html/14-2-6-Memory-Leakage.html

Use Apache status monitoring configuration for more detailed data:
http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/msg00323.html
Be aware that some of the memory usage shown per child is actually shared.
Make sure you're not loading any unnecessary modules into Apache.

Preload your Perl modules and DBIx::Class models in the Apache parent.
The memory will become unshared over time so set MaxRequestsPerChild
to force a reload.

You may also be able to save memory by running through FastCGI rather
than Apache.

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk