Beautiful is better than ugly

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Apr 22 08:29:10 BST 2009

On 22/4/09 07:53, Léon Brocard wrote:
> Alias ranted: http://use.perl.org/~Alias/journal/38842
>
> Which Perl website do you think looks the worst? Which has the worst navigation?
>
> We managed to redesign london.pm.org. Is it time to do another?

They're all a bit shit for the most part. Last time we talked about
this, out of which came the new london.pm.org site, we also used Andy's
design as the basis of perlisalive.com.

Ask did get back to me about perl.org after a while and was
conservatively positive but I'm afraid that we haven't done anything
with it since (sorry Ask).

The big challenge is buy-in. For the most part the people who run the
various sites don't have enough desire to do anything about it.
use.perl.org being a case in point.

A good step forward would be generating a community banner strip that
could be included on all sites that want to take part, giving cross-site
navigation and a certain sense of 'belonging'. After that can come
refreshes of the individual sites.

That could probably done with relatively little effort although driving
take up could be harder. I'll marshal my thoughts some more and write
more later on.

S.