Big Geek Day Out: Bletchley Park 18th July

the hatter london.pm at bang.meep.org
Mon Jun 15 12:38:43 BST 2009

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, Joel Bernstein wrote:

> On 15 Jun 2009, at 12:14, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >  I picked up a bottle of cheap cooking shandy to sip on the train so
> > I wouldn't get dehydrated
>
> Does this actually work? Ethanol is diuretic isn't it? Either directly
> or through its absorption.

The net effect of drinking a pint of alcohol is likely to absorb more
water than you'll pass from the effect.  In terms of danger of real
dehydration, drink up it'll do you good.  Even in terms of taking
sufficient daily fluids, better to drink your 2L of whatever is tasty (be
it alcohol or caffeinated beverage, both of which are rumoured to be bad
due to diuretic effects) than hardly any plain old water.

the hatter